How Shauna Organizes Her Spices

This week’s guest participating in the ‘How I Organize’ series is the lovely Shauna of Satori Design for Living who takes a holistic approach to design and organization in helping others beautifully transform their homes. She gives us a peek inside her kitchen and shares with us how she organizes her spices:

I have always loved using spices in cooking, but it usually meant searching through a basket of miss-matched packages, jars and tins to find the one I was looking for. Quite often I’d end up buying multiples of the same spice because it was buried at the bottom of a disorganized mess. I also never kept track of how long I had a particular spice and knew that in order to get the most flavor, whole spices should only be kept for three years and ground spices for just a year. (When a spice is ground, it releases the oils responsible for its flavor and aroma. As the oils dissipate, the spice becomes less pungent.)

To start with, I took stock of all the spices I had and weeded out the ones I never really use. I then bought small jars from the Dollar Store to transfer the spices into. It’s always much better to keep items the same to prevent an area from looking cluttered. I used small jars for most of the spices and larger ones for spices we use in greater quantities. I then found labels from the Martha Stewart line at Staples, printed the spice names using the computer and affixed them to the jars. Next, I applied a clear protective film over the labels to keep them looking new. On the bottom of the jar I affixed a small label and wrote the month and year the spice was put into the jar.

Currently I keep the spices on simple white trays on a shelf in my pantry closest to the stove. I store them alphabetically, with spices used more often at the front. This new system looks visually appealing and makes finding spices a breeze. I like the fact that I’m doing something good for the environment by purchasing small packets of spices (that can be recycled) to refill the jars. I also feel confident that dishes will be flavorful because of the freshness of the spices I use.

This entry was posted in how i organize series, kitchen organization. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to How Shauna Organizes Her Spices

1. Howthatbe says:

I thought of you when I saw Martha Stewart’s new line and the prices are really good. Nice to see it in place ( at your house ) and good idea to date the spices. Thanks for sharing Sharna !
    Lisa b.

2. Shauna Oberg says:

Thank you for asking me to participate in this series. I love taking a look at how people organize their stuff and lives and it was fun to share a part of mine.

3. Looks lovely Shauna, I love Martha Stewart’s labels- I’m actually organizing my pantry using her labels.

Arianna Belle, what a beautiful blog you have, new follower :)
    Mandy

4. That is too cute! I love that and would totally leave that out on my counter!

5. Jean @ Flower Hill says:

I love how clean and organized it looks!

6. Jessica says:

This is brilliant. Something as simple as matching jars makes all the difference.

7. I love stopping by…. there is always inspiration here for organizing something in my home.

Lisa x

8. I’ve just done something similar with large mason jars. Just make everything clean and simple.
    I’ve posted our little kitchen refurb if you’d like to check it out!

x kat

9. Guest says:

hmm I think cinnamon is spelled wrong?

10. Dana Sipes says:

Shauna-

Really nice example. From a garlic powder girl to the multiple different types of sea salts girl- any cook can benefit from having spices handy.

A post like this reaffirms a belief that I hold and often forget:
    Simple, clean, functional and timeless= more bland than brilliant but infinitely more rewarding and peaceful over my life.

11. I was looking for this! Such a great idea and I can hardly wait to buy some glass jars for my kitchen. Perfect!
    xo

12. Sylvia says:

I wish i was able to purge enough from my spice cupboard to be this organized. The Indian spices alone take up one massive basket of 2oz bags….